03/12/2007

Colin McKeown – Liverpool Film Academy


Waiting is a frustrating, aggravating process, fundamentally opposed to an entrepreneur’s way of doing things. And Colin McKeown is waiting for the great monolith of the BBC to heave itself into action. (McKeown and screenwriter Jimmy McGovern have pitched a new soap to the Beeb, to replace Neighbours)
He’s not sitting about twiddling his thumbs in the meantime. He and McGovern have another two active projects in the pipeline and McKeown has high hopes for them. ‘I’d love to bring back an Oscar to Liverpool,’ he says, wistfully.
Born and brought up in Huyton, McKeown is one of 13 children – his parents had both been married before, so the line-up was a mix of ‘his, hers, and theirs,’ as he puts it. ‘I was utterly inspired by my Mum – her belief in me was fantastic: she stood up for me, and was absolutely straight.’ he laughs.’
McKeown saw less of his father. ‘He could be quite emotional, my Dad, and we got lots of love and affection.
‘But the flip side was the violence. I used to get battered – not just a smack, but punches and kicks. He was a wonderful, loving parent, so if he hit me, I’d think I must have been naughty, and blame myself.’
School gave McKeown no great encouragement. The typical comment, he says, was: ‘You must understand that the best you can hope for is an apprenticeship at Imperial Metals.’ ‘The traditional way out for kids like me was to be a priest or a footballer...........

No comments: