03/12/2007

Victor Greenberg – Greenberg Glass


Aged four, little Vic used to ride his tricycle full pelt down the road in Woolton, straight across the main road – and so often that bus drivers learned to look for the small speeding figure as they neared the junction. Ten years later, naughty Vic borrowed his father’s car keys, taught himself to drive, and raced down the East Lancs Road with his mates to Manchester – till his father caught him and put a stop to such adolescent capers. ‘I must have used up most of my nine lives before I left school,’ he says.
At 63, the wild child in Greenberg is still there, albeit contained. Semi-retired from the business his father Nat founded in 1936, Greenberg wants a dream to follow. ‘I always wanted to be something else,’ he says.
There is no ego about the family name – in fact Greenberg told his two daughters and son not to think about coming into the business. They have shares, but were told to go and do their own thing, which they all have, successfully.
‘I felt guilty about it sometimes, but I stuck to my guns. No-one teaches you to be a parent – it’s trial and error. You can only do your best.’
‘I was busy taking care of business, and it was fun. Selling glass isn’t going to change the world, but the success of the business enabled me to have fun, learn new things all the time, meet interesting people. And we’ve enjoyed the rewards............

No comments: